Friday, January 23, 2009

My daughter...the crocodile

Poor little peanut...her beautiful, smooth, creamy skin has become scaly and dry as of this past week. I don't know why she has all of a sudden turned into a crocodile, but I think it has something to do with the weather, the heat in the house and maybe the detergent I use (of course I am switching to Dreft Detergent immediately to remedy that part of the issue). Izzy's doctor has recommended that I start to use Aquafor on her skin in the morning when she gets up and at night right after her bath. I am basically slathering my baby in this Vaseline-y type of "lotion" morning and night and I don't see much of a difference. I don't want to use a steroid eczema cream if I can use something else, but this poor kid has skin like an iguana. I'm going to give the Aquafor a few more days...and hopefully it will start to work.

In other news, Isabelle will be crawling any day now (see video for reference). Even though she gets frustrated when she's on her belly because she hasn't quite mastered this feat just yet, she still seems to have the basics and I can't wait for her to reach this milestone. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for saying that after the first week of having to chase after her as she crawls toward something potentially dangerous, but I am looking forward to seeing her enter into this new phase of her life. I'll be keeping everyone posted of her progress and will be child-proofing the house in the meantime.

3 comments:

  1. We use Eucerin on Thomas. The one that comes in the tub, and is white, it's like covering the child in desitin, but there is a marked difference after just one application, in Thomas anyway. Good luck with the crocodile and even more luck with the crawling!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aquaphor is a wonder drug. Last year I developed chapped lips that wouldn't go away, no matter what the dermatologist prescribed. Finally, she told my to try Aquaphor.

    Haven't had a problem since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! My son has the exact same problem, and I'm as baffled as you are. I haven't changed detergent, he hasn't had any new foods, etc, but it looks like an allergic reaction. When I put lotion on him it goes all red and bumpy, and when I don't it feels like sandpaper. I took him over to the pharmacist and lifted up his coat so she could see it, and she recommended I coat him in diaper rash cream every night (seriously). It's thick and goopy and messy, especially when he puts his hands in it while I'm doing it, but she said try it out and it's cheaper and better for him than any steroid creams. So I did it for a week and now the red is gone and his skin is smooth again. (Oh, and in the middle I put some lotion on one night and it suddenly went all red, so I'm starting to suspect he might be allergic to the lotion? Not sure...)

    But that's a thought to try, too. Just buy generic, unscented diaper rash cream, nothing fancy. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5 img src="http://socialspark.com/images/claimdot.gif" alt="ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5" />