Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I Think I Want to Switch Doctors


Isabelle's doctor is nice enough, but I've had some issues with him as of late because I feel like he gives me the same rote answers he would give to anyone without really assessing the situation. Case in point #1: At our last well-baby visit, I mentioned that Isabelle had been having some difficulty with her bowel movements and I asked if it could possibly be the vitamins he prescribed for her that are fortified with iron. He answered that it probably wasn't, that I should give her some pedialyte (which I thought was for diarrhea and vomiting) and that should help. Well, after seven (Yes, SEVEN) days without so much as an m&m sized turd in her diaper, I called his "replacement" doctor and he said to give her a baby suppository and that he doesn't understand why her doctor doesn't prescribe her the vitamins without the iron since they are obviously (Yes, OBVIOUSLY) binding her. Needless to say, I called her original doctor and demanded, very pleasantly of course, that he call in a precription for the vitamins with the flouride but without the iron, to which he made it seem as if this is what we should have done from the beginning!

I also feel that he doesn't seem to pay close attention to the small details that make a huge difference. Case in Point #2: I brought Isabelle in for her 4 month check-up almost 2 weeks late because the office had to reschedule. At this appointment she had her shots (all five of them). We then went to her 6 month check-up almost 2 weeks early because that was the only time they could fit us in and her doc was ready to give her the 6 month shots. At this point, I piped up and said, "We were just here about a month ago because of scheduling...is it safe to do that?" His response, "What? Oh let me look at the chart. You were just here...oh no, we can't give her those shots today. That would make them too close together". Ummm....DUH!!! What if I hadn't said anything? Isn't that what the stupid chart is for? I am not a doctor and I am supposed to be able to trust the person with the degree, but how can I do that when I am doing his job for him. Look at the chart, butthead, and figure out whether or not it is okay to give my child her shots BEFORE you decide to do so! And for that matter, rather than rush off to your next patient, book less patients and spend the necessary time with my kid so that she's in the best of health....that's your stinkin job!

It's time to start looking for a new doc for Isabelle because this one is making me ill.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having a terrible time with you pediatrician. You are totally in the right and good for you for speaking up!!
    Now I don't know if their covered by your insurance, and it might be a little bit of a trek for you, but when we living in NY, we took Thomas to Mt. Kisco Medical group and his pediatrician was Craig Osleeb and he was AMAZING (He was the #1 reason I didn't want to leave NY since I never though we've find a doc half as good) He's staff of nurses was great too, and I don't remember having too much trouble with scheduling. Apparently his focus is with child allergies, but my OBGYN recceommended him. If you want to check him out
    http://www.mkmg.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/site.physicians/action/dtl/phys/99803828.cfm That's him on the Mt. Kisco Med website.

    Good luck and you go Mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will definitely check him out. Out current doctor is part of Mt. Kisco Medical Group (and so is his "replacement" doctor), but I would like to see what else is out there. The only major positive of this doctor is that he is only 4 miles away...super great in an emergency. Thank you for the advice. I will give him a call.

    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also check out the Pediatrics Association of Putnam. They're on Stoneleigh Ave in Carmel. Dr. Garcia

    I would definitely ditch the old dr though. No matter what. He should have his license revoked. I can't stand MKMG, they are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find a new doctor, seriously! Drat -- I thought at least pediatricians made more time for children. I've already come to expect ZERO attention from my own doctors, but for children, rather BABIES? Unacceptable.

    I never see my own primary care physician. She's always booked six months out. I see her nurse practitioners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I will be looking into new docs for my little munchkin before her next visit is upon us. Thank you for all the great advice!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5 img src="http://socialspark.com/images/claimdot.gif" alt="ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5" />