Friday, December 5, 2008

Isabelle's First Meeting with Santa Claus


What a fun day! Today, Izzy and I met up with Pocklock and Lyla Bean at the mall and Isabelle had her picture taken with Santa Claus. We had to take pictures twice because the first time around, Isabelle wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation and ended up looking sad or angry in each photo. During the second round, our little elf took an adorable picture (which I would post, but that would ruin our secret Christmas gifts) and she didn't freak out when I sat her on Santa's lap like she almost did during round one.


On another note, I was reminded today of how particular, and sometimes difficult, my daughter can be as I watched little Lyla, who had not slept at all during the day, quietly nuzzle against her mommy in the Maya wrap (sling) without making a peep while Isabelle chattered away and whined a little in the Baby Bjorn (facing outward of course...G*d forbid I face her in...she'd have a fit!). Then, Pocklock laid Lyla down in the stroller, again not a peep, and she fell asleep within 10 minutes or so. Not my munchkin. She whined until I took her out of the Bjorn and just held her. I tried to put her facing in, thinking she might fall asleep (HA...fat chance) and finally I just submitted and held her in my arms until we left the mall. My back is going to need some MAJOR chiropractic therapy. The only thing that made me feel like less of the slave that I am to my daughter's whims based on her fussy and demanding nature is when Pocklock told me that The Bean HATES taking baths and cries as if someone is physically hurting her. I thought to myself, "Really? This incredibly easy-going baby, who can fall asleep anywhere, who doesn't make a peep while shopping or while out at restaurants and who isn't all over the place while nursing screams bloody-murder while being bathed?". I actually told Pocklock that I was relieved to hear that. Isn't that insane? I'm relieved at another mother's troubles. So not okay. But it just makes me feel like I'm not the only one who deals with "issues" and that even the easiest-seeming babies have their moments too. I hate to say it, but it does put my mind at rest a little (sorry Pocklock!). I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of mommies out there who feel a small twinge of relief, and maybe even validation, when they hear that my child doesn't take the bottle. Maybe they had a ton of trouble nursing and that was their cross to bear, but their child takes the bottle and hearing about one that doesn't helps them to feel that their plight was not a completely lost one. All of us mommies go through our own trials and tribulations and, many times, feel like the only soul on earth dealing with that situation. Then, one day, you talk to another mother who is going through the same thing, or something different but equally as hard, and you feel connected, validated, triumphant, empathetic and saved all at the same time. It's not that you feel better than that other mom (because you COMPLETELY feel her pain), but you gain a sense of "I'm not the only one"-ness and your trials and tribulations get put into perspective a bit.


So - thanks Pocklock, for helping me feel a little less like an island today. Here's hoping that Izzy will sit in a stroller one day without having a flipout-fest and Lyla will learn to enjoy her time in the bath.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. So glad I could help! I will admit that Bean has gotten a lot easier in the last month or so. She wasn't always agreeable. At one point, the Moby wrap was the ONLY thing she'd tolerate and she was in it constantly. And the weeks before we discovered Moby I was ready for a mental institution.

    So don't worry - Izzy's preferences will smooth out soon. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5 img src="http://socialspark.com/images/claimdot.gif" alt="ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5" />