Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Terrifying Task of Taking the Tiny Tot on a Trek for Thanksgiving



I am basically terrified of Thanksgiving this year. This will be our first long haul trip since Isabelle's birth. Most of our excursions usually consist of going to Grandma's house (7 miles away) for a few hours, but we are ALWAYS home by bath/bedtime (which starts around 6:15-6:30pm...no later than 7pm). On Thanksgiving, we have approximately 2 hours of traveling to get there, we will be arriving around 1pm and we will most definitely be leaving around the normal bath/bedtime. Why does this cause me to worry?
There are a number of reasons:


1) Isabelle HATES the car seat. We are going to try to leave around her normal nap time in the hopes that she will sleep for the majority of the trip, but my fear is that she won't sleep, will miss her nap and generally be a crabby-patty for most of the ride/day.


2) Izzy has yet to take a decent nap outside of our home. Granted, the few times we have tried to get her to nap at Grandma's house, it was the late afternoon naptime which isn't always successful at home. We just bought a pack-n-play and I hope that she will nap without having to be in her own crib.


3) Since our nighttime bath/bed routine is going to be "compromised" from traveling, I am concerned that Isabelle won't sleep well that night both on the way home from NJ and once we get to our house.


I know that these are all the over-protective, nervous, kind of ridiculous thoughts of a first-time mother, but this is where my head is right now. I have already started to make a list of all the things I need to bring with me and I'm not even sure if it will all fit in the car. If we can make it through this, then perhaps my mind will be more at ease for our upcoming Christmas trip to Montreal...I doubt it though.

3 comments:

  1. Remember, the bonus of being with family for thanksgiving - even if she is a crabby patty they're will be plently of realitives to take her off your hands!! =) And hopefully, after a day of being passed around, she'll knock right out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! Let's just hope for the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this won't help much now, after the fact, but I highly recommend getting a celtic cd for the car rides. My daughter would pass right out when she heard them in the car when she was a baby. Something about the pitch of the bagpipes or something like that. Try it, hopefully it will work for you too.

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5 img src="http://socialspark.com/images/claimdot.gif" alt="ss_blog_claim=432027e614412569e5310e1727cb4ed5" />